I went on a cruise...which is not something I ever thought I'd do. It was marvelous and extremely peculiar and, yes, definitely made me feel guilty. But immensely valuable...not just because I go to do amazing things with amazing people, but because it helped me understand how hard we will work, how much we will pay, the crazy things we'll do...to get to community. People are hardly individuals, there is nothing so valuable as nestling into the warm comfort of a trusted community and I'm so happy to have that and, occasionally, to be able to help others get to it.
Thanks to Paul and Storm and Jonathan and Drew for putting together something so amazing.
Sara Watkins is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBr4kA9mq2IVh_LcjdrYWiA Jim Boggia is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/JimBoggia?feature=watch The Thrilling Adventure Hour is here: http://thrillingadventurehour.com/
In which John discusses the crisis in Ukraine, and how the influence of Russia and Europe have shaped Ukrainian politics for centuries. REMINDER: Educational videos are allowed to be more than four minutes long.
Thanks to Rosianna for image-gathering: http://www.youtube.com/rosianna
The BBC's Ukraine hub: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26270866 CIA Factbook on Ukraine: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/up.html The wikipedia article about the Crimean War is quite good, especially in contemporary context: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_War
In which Hank breaks down the costs of various kinds of fun...though, of course, not all funs are created equal. I do want to say that, whatever you enjoy, don't let anyone belittle that for you. I was kinda disparaging toward TV...but I also love TV...I just don't know if I could love it 34 hours per week. The point of enjoyment is enjoyment so...yeah...whatever floats your boat!
Join The Art Assignment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9lpMFPEj58
In which John Green and his best friend Chris go to rather extreme lengths to meet in the exact midpoint between them.
The rules: 1. Pick a friend. 2. Determine the exact midpoint between the two of you. You can use http://geomidpoint.com to help you out. 3. Agree to meet there at a certain time. 4. Once making the agreement, don't communicate until you meet in the middle! 5. Document the meeting and share it if you want on YouTube, twitter, tumblr, whatever with the hashtag #theartassignment.
Thanks to my friend Chris for being in the video! You can follow him on twitter: https://twitter.com/wategi
In which John shares 18 of his favorite books that aren't wildly popular bestsellers. CLICK SHOW MORE TO GET THE BOOKS:
1. This Bloody Mary is the Last Thing I Own by Jonathan Rendall: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/088001685X/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=088001685X&link_code=as3&tag=vlogbrothers-20
2. One of Us by Alice Dreger: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0674018257/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0674018257&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
3. Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312274920/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=0312274920&link_code=as3&tag=vlogbrothers-20
4. The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green by Joshua Braff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U898X4/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003U898X4&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
5. Thirsty by MT Anderson: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0763638951/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0763638951&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
6. Boy Proof by Cecil Castellucci: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0763627968/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0763627968&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
7. Fly on the Wall by E Lockhart: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385732821/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0385732821&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
8. The Untelling by Tayari Jones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446694568/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0446694568&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
9. The Golden Rule by Ilene Cooper: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081090960X/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=081090960X&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
10. Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0399237496/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0399237496&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
11. The Enormous Room by e. e. cummings: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486421201/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0486421201&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
12. Regarding the Pain of Others by Susan Sontag: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312422199/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0312422199&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
13. Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0679728899/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0679728899&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
14. This Blinding Absence of Light by Tahar Ben Jelloun: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Q75K6Q/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005Q75K6Q&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
15. Kendra by Coe Booth: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0439925371/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0439925371&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
16. The Optimist's Daughter by Eudora Welty: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067972883X/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=067972883X&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
17. Will You Miss Me When I'm Gone: The Carter Family and their Legacy in American Music: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/074324382X/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=074324382X&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
18. The Last Summer of Reason by Tahar Djaout:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0803215916/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0803215916&linkCode=as2&tag=vlogbrothers-20
WILL YOU MISS ME WHEN I'M GONE FROM YOUR PANTS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbvbEMSLKpI
In which Hank discusses the Valentine's day, one of the three candy-based holidays in America. Why do we have candy-based holidays in America? I don't know, probably because we get to choose the gods we worship and the god we've chosen is chocolate. We could do worse.
Also, he discusses the Olympics and how weird they are and why we value these weird things and how it doesn't really matter why because caring is valuable for it's own sake.
The Art Assignment Trailer! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mab64T-0nbQ
Emma Approved is Back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEGm1jRLZiE
Am I 1% Nacho? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLFKDDdMBt4
In which John discusses the minimum wage, and whether raising the minimum wage would negatively affect employment in the United States.
Thanks to Rosianna for graphics and research help: http://www.youtube.com/missxrojas
About Card and Kreuger's famous study of New Jersey and Pennsylvania: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage#Card_and_Krueger Why Does the Minimum Wage Have No Discernible Effect on Employment? http://www.cepr.net/documents/publications/min-wage-2013-02.pdf Do higher minimum wages reduce poverty? http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/01/04/economists-agree-raising-the-minimum-wage-reduces-poverty/ A Washington Post overview of the minimum wage debate: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/02/13/the-minimum-wage-fight-explained/