Will Grayson, Will Grayson

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.

Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan’s collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humor that have won both them legions of faithful fans.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson debuted at #3 on the New York Times bestseller list for children’s chapter books, the first book starring gay characters ever to appear on the list. WGWG has also been published in Australia and is forthcoming in many countries, including Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands. If you would like to read this book in a language besides American English, go to the translations page.

If you’ve read the book and are fully prepared for spoilers, head on over to the Will Grayson, Will Grayson FAQ page for more.

Reviews (Spoiler Alert!)

“A terrific high-energy tale of teen love, lust, intrigue, anger, pain, and friendship threaded with generous measures of comedy.” -Booklist, Starred Review

“This quirky yet down-to-earth collaboration by two master YA storytellers will keep readers turning pages.” -School Library Journal, Starred Review

“An intellectually existential, electrically ebullient love story that brilliantly melds the ridiculous with the realistic.” –Kirkus, Starred Review

“The spectacular style that readers have come to expect from these two YA masters.” –VOYA

{ 398 comments… read them below or add one }

Kristi June 11, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I was so excited when I heard this book was coming out. I was the first one in my town to read it! Loved it :D

Samantha May 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm

doubtful.

Kayley October 19, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Bitch :)

Emily June 11, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Eeep! I really love Will Grayson, will grayson!
I bought it the day it came out.
I love it so much.
[SPOILER - I guess...]
I seriously “eeped” at the beginning of chapter seven.
That cross over from points of view is just amazing.

Samantha May 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I just “eeped” to. We should keep this shit private.

Johnathan May 5, 2011 at 6:17 pm

How about not keep it private? ;) It had amazing crosses. I agree Emily

Beatrice June 7, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Someone’s a negative Nancy.

Kayley October 19, 2011 at 4:54 pm

LOL you’re really a cunt, you know that?

Jessica June 12, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I am halfway though WGWG and I love it!
I have found so many things that have related to nerd-fighters!
1) Tiny, at one point, talks to will in parts. It made me happy.
2) Will says “The world has alot of suck”

love it John! keep on writin’

Harish January 25, 2014 at 3:48 pm

like you I could only manage bits and pieecs on the telly I did love the fashions ENJOY your me time’ best Le xox ps I have a new blog happy daysLe BHCH recently posted..[]

www.pointpleasantea.org February 18, 2014 at 7:15 am

People normally pay me for this and you are giving it away!

Brandon June 12, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I started reading the last 6 chapters last night at about 12, but it got the the point where I could not put it down, because of Tiny’s Show.
The only books I’ve ever read to their fullest extent are those written by John Green, I absolutely love his style and realistic intensity. Can’t wait for his next book!

Miranda June 12, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I just finished this book yesterday! Frigging. Brilliant. John Green, David Levithan, my name’s not Will Grayson, but I sure as hell appreciate y’all. :)

Miranda Crowell June 14, 2010 at 1:49 am

Can anyone list off the real world Chicago locations in the book Will Grayson, Will Grayson so I could venture around and see them?

grace October 19, 2012 at 10:31 am

Frenchys is one that i know

Adrianna Sullivan June 15, 2010 at 1:48 pm

@Miranda Crowell.
All locations referenced in WgWg are real locations in Chicago Illinois.
Frenchy’s is an adult book store on North State Street.
And the Bean is located in Millenium Park.
They’re both pretty hard to miss when visiting Chicago. Especially the Bean, haa.

Lynsey Marie June 21, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I want this book so bad! I’m saving up my money just to get this book.

Alyx Hoge June 25, 2010 at 1:06 am

Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?), I have yet to meet another “Alyx” and howmanyofme.com tells me that there are “1 or fewer” Alyx Hoge’s in America. (On an interesting note, according to the above mentioned website, there are 228 people named William Grayson, yet only 2 named Will Grayson. Hmm.) However, while I wasn’t able to relate to the protagonists that way, every other little bit of character hit home. Especially with your Will. I just connected with him, (Not asexual, but not into romance drama; crazy best friends getting you into crazy situations) and every bit of Jane/Will was adorably heartwarming. You are an amazing author and inspire me to keep writing! And to quote my new favorite AmazonBook video: “As they say in my hometown, Don’t Forget To Be Awesome.”

Lauren July 10, 2010 at 8:48 pm

pretty sure i was the first person at my library to take this book out i happened to go the day they got it and decided to take it out

Samantha May 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Thanks for telling us, we were worried about whether or not you go the first book from your library. We were also concerned about why you went to there in the first place.

Beatrice June 7, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Negative Nancy! Stop being so mean :( this is a John Green/WGWG LOVE page. <3

Alexa July 11, 2010 at 11:25 pm

So I went to my local book store when it first came out, I asked the lady if they had it and she checked the system and there was no book there yet. I was bummed. I went there the other day. Looked around and didn’t see it, Until my mother pointed it out and i got all giddy and started jumping up and down. Just started reading it and i am in love with the book already. :)

Jack July 15, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Thank you for this book, John Green. I was always back and forth between Alaska and Katherines as to which of your books was my favorite. The existence of WG, WG settles that argument.

katie July 20, 2010 at 9:26 pm

:D I just got it in the post today but have to wait TWO WHOLE DAYS to read it as I am getting it for my birthday. I opened the package and got all happy because I got to read the back :L but I resisted reading it. :( :( 2 dayss

katie July 20, 2010 at 9:29 pm

:L i just got really freaked out as my clock says 2.28am but this says that it’s nine in the evening and it took me too long to figure out the time difference. :L just thought I should post my airheadedness and let the world see my stupidity :L

Katie Marshall July 22, 2010 at 5:24 am

I could not put this book down- you had me on the floor with laughter at parts, and tearing up at others. I could not have love it more. Thankyou so much :)

Katie July 28, 2010 at 2:03 am

I was wandering around holding a book in my hand which i was about to buy. Right until on the shelf infornt of me was a shiny book called Will Grayson, Will Grayson. When i saw it i put down the book i was holding, for it had no meaning to me anymore. I din’t think your book was going to be sold in my little town but to my surprise there it was. I started reading it right away and what really got me going was the fact that you mentioned Neutral Milk Hotel.

johnre August 11, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Loved it! laughed out loud many times – very fun, sweet, real book.
Can’t wait for the movie (I hope)

Melissa August 19, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I was lead to this book via your vlog. I mean I figured I like how you speak, so that should carry over to how you write. But the thing I loved most about the book was that it resonated with truth.

Katherine Martin August 31, 2010 at 12:00 am

Absolutly love WGWG. Brilliant. It was the first book I have read by John. I am currently halfway through Looking For Alaska. I just got to the end of “Before.”
After I read WGWG, i bought LFA and Paper Towns. I’m waiting on An Abundance of Katherines. It’s been backordered like 17 million times, but I cannot wait to read it.
You, John Green, are an amazing writer. As an English major at Western Carolina University, I hope to one day write as brilliantly as you. :)

Anna September 4, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Really? Why do you have to make your characters so intresting!? I wanna know what happens to them!!! WHERE’S MY EPILOG!!!!!?

Heather September 7, 2010 at 12:14 am

I started reading WG, WG yesterday morning and finished it last night. I was already a fan of both John and David’s writing when I started, but this book managed to surprise me with its absolute wonderfulness. I laughed out loud several times, texted lines to my sister (who started reading the book today), read whole pages to whoever happened to be in the room with me, and even teared up at one point. I look forward to reading it again when I won’t be in such a rush to know what’s going to happen to next.

Kathy September 7, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I loved WGWG, and, though Levithan seemed to want to break almost every law of sentence structure, I loved his style. It was almost better than Margo capitalization!

My name is not Will Greyson, but I appreciate you, John Green and Devid Levithan!!

Deanna Kirkland September 16, 2010 at 1:26 am

i loved this book in every way! (except one, oh but if that was possible i would) the ppl in the book are so real. never once have i read a book so close to life. and i read a book about every three days or so. but this by far is my FAVORITE book.

Brittany, how original. September 20, 2010 at 8:17 pm

So, last saturday I went out and ended up buying all four of John Green’s books. WGWG was the first one I read, finished it last night.

“me: don’t you get it? i dont need anyone.
tiny: that only means you need me more.”

And that’s when I surrendered to the book. When the auther takes the reader past the storyline and into the book, that’s when he’s triumphed.
-For that moment I was will grayson, I was learning what will grayson was learning all the way to trial-error-IT.
–I appreciate you JG & DL.

Charles September 23, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Just a suggestion but.. I think you should make a “I’M WITH PHIL WRAYSON” t-shirt. I think a lot of people would buy it and it would be pretty awesome. Love the book by the way, a few of my friends bought it after I told them about it and they loved it too. Keep it up! BTW NERDFIGHTERS FTW AND MAY YOU LIVE LONG AND PROSPER AS YOU RULE OVER NERDFIGHTORIA!!!!!

Thomas October 17, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Agree with Charles,
Although I would like a Male equivalent for Janey, however senseless that is,
because I think I’m going to have to name her my favorite John Green girl, and that is a VERY big call

Bryant October 21, 2010 at 1:41 am

Amazing read, as always with John Green. Downloaded this book via ibooks and i’ve been reading it in class nonstop! Keep writing John, can’t wait to read your next work.

Ricky November 3, 2010 at 5:29 pm

this book is amazing it is the perfect amount of steamy and teen quirkyness.pg-13 though

Mel November 11, 2010 at 5:31 am

I just finished reading Will Grayson, will grayson, and I have to say, I really think it’s the best John Green novel I’ve read (which is all of them!).. I was really close to tears in a few parts – really brilliant how real the relationships felt and definately not your average corny love story plot. It was amazing to both like and hate characters at the same time (tiny), and I guess that just showed how un-2 dimensional they were.

spartandude November 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm

i have now read will grayson,will grayson my fav. char. is jane

Sophie December 2, 2010 at 6:30 am

I ordered this book off Amazon because it couldn’t get it in Australia and when I opened it up, it was signed by both you and David!! This totally made my year. Also, the boo was amazing and I couldn’t put it down :D

Bobbi May 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm

My jealousy… it knows no bounds. Damn you Amazon why couldn’t mine be signed! *shakes fist*

Holly December 14, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I loved this book. It was so incredibly satirical. It was perfect. I have met other Holly’s before. None with my last name though. Although, in Looking for Alaska, one of the names is so very similar.

Bradley December 20, 2010 at 12:40 am

I finished the book today, (started it very late) and I just loved it. You and David are wonderful people fro creating this book. I just… gosh.. words can’t describe how much I loved Will Grayson, Will Grayson.
At first I really hated Tiny, even though I felt I resembled him a bit, but when Will had his epiphany in the dugout and other Will had the scene with him at the swing set I began to love him.
This book was just amazing.

Amanda January 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I’m so glad I chose this book to be the one for my book report I am doing. It is amazing, funny, and just a great book. Deffinatly one of my favorites, and so is John Green. He is and will always be my favorite author.

Katie Korucho February 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm

This book literally (no pun intended) changed my life. I loved it so much and it’s right up there with Harry Potter and the Hunger Games, just a brilliant novel. Thank you, John and David, for this book. Thank you.

Anouk de Jong March 13, 2011 at 4:04 pm

One of the most amazing books I’ve ever read.
I’ve read it in one day, and I’m going to read more of him!

Aron August 10, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Are you by any chance Dutch?

Nele March 17, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I’m so looking foward to read ‘Will Grayson’ in german!

Brooke March 30, 2011 at 9:05 am

my librarian suggested this to me, and it was love at first page! I love your books! I love both will graysons! You should write more about them!

Melissa April 27, 2011 at 10:08 am

No offense to David Levithan but I was had such mixed feelings about Will Grayson, Will Grayson at first because I love John Green so I was offput at him co-writing a book, but it was really a thing of beauty.

taylor April 27, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I’m just curious as to why this book doesn’t have the footnotes like Abundance of Katherines and Paper Towns?

taylor April 27, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Because i thought the footnotes were unique and theymade the book more interesting

Jessica Cancino May 6, 2011 at 12:52 am

I just finished reading the book and think it’s awesome like all your books. I want a best friend like Tiny! and I freaking love musicals so Yay! I wish I could SEE IT! :D lol (actually laughing out loud) you’re awesome!
-Jessica C

Bobbi May 22, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I don’t think I’ve laughed/ cried more when reading any book, with the possible exception of “Looking for Alaska”, I was positively bawling.

Yet another fantastic book John (and David :D), can’t wait for your next one.

Oh…. DFTBA :3

Lizzie May 24, 2011 at 11:57 am

Dear John,

Thank you so much for this amazing book! My friend and I read this book last summer. We’ve been best friends since first grade, and you could say that she is the Tiny Cooper to my Will Grayson. The similarity between our relationship and the one between Will and Tiny is uncanny. We were going through a really rough patch last summer, and reading this book helped us to realize that we’re in this together til the end. Seriously- thank you! Have a great summer, and I look forward to reading your next book!

Cheers,
Lizzie

Robin June 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Loved the book! Bravo!

Sam January 24, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Hi Jennifer. Your cotton riabbt idea tied in with the book is cute. I also love your educational art activity to introduce kids to famous artists. It is great that you tied it to donating canned food. This would be a great idea for classrooms around Thanksgiving.: 0 ) Theresa

The ever abundant Katherine! June 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm

So far I have only read Looking for Alaska and I absolutely loved it! I just ordered your other three books and I am super excited to read them (especially An Abundance of Katherines) Nerdfighteria FTL!

Madeleine June 12, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Who loved the brilliance of the Marvin reference?

Ron Cerabona June 21, 2011 at 5:45 am

I confess it was one of the things I didn’t get and would really appreciate an explanation. I did love the book!
ron

Danica July 11, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I love Will Grayson Will Grayson, its amazing. I love both Will and the story. Being Gay is okay. I laughed the whole way. Tiny is my favorite. I’d recommended this book to my friend, but they must be aware of cussing. I fraking love it. Thank you John Green and David Levithan. I wonder which one cheated on their SATs?
DFTBA Danica

Katie July 12, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I love this book so much! Your writing is phenomenal. I have to say though that the lack of capitalization in David Levithan’s part kind of hurts my feelings. :(

Sarah July 16, 2011 at 6:10 pm

After reading Looking for Alaska, I didn’t think things would get any better.
I’ve read all of John’s books, and WG wg is my FAVORITE BY FAR!!!! I just finished it, and I am SOOO sad that it had to end. The characters are brilliant, their personalities so creative and diverse. The plot is extraordinary and weaves just about every genre in it from romance to musicals?? AMAZING.

I reccomend. times200000.