FAQ

Q. So this is the frequently asked questions section of your site.

A. That’s not a question, but yes. To be fair, I’ve also included many infrequently asked questions in the name of completeness. The FAQ is divided into the categories below so as to keep it shorter than a novel.

Q. You have not answered my question.

A. You seem to have a very limited understanding of what a question is. But okay, if you have a question that is not answered in the FAQ, please leave that question in the comments of the appropriate section (or, if you cannot decide upon a section, you can leave it in the comments of this post), and I will try to answer it. Thanks!

Questions about Looking for Alaska
Questions about An Abundance of Katherines
Questions about Paper Towns
Questions about Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Questions about The Fault in Our Stars
Questions about Other Writing and/or Radio Stuff
Questions about YouTube and/or Vlogging
Questions about Where I Get My Ideas, Inspiration, and General Writing Stuff
Questions about My Books Being Turned into Movies

{ 1735 comments… read them below or add one }

Emily December 7, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I am in college and I want to be a publisher or an editor, but I noticed that the “writing and publishing advice” section is not clickable. Is there any way you could make that happen?

Meredith January 10, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Start from the very bottom and read up. :)

Hope October 5, 2011 at 7:48 pm

What do you mean start from the bottom and read up? The bottom of the comments? I am confused. :(

cydney December 14, 2010 at 12:13 am

Being that the section for questions about writing paper about you is currently unclickable do you think you can fix that by making it have a question of random not to personal thing like all the random places you have lived or when you started writing…
ps. i am writing a paper on you :)

Holly December 14, 2010 at 9:50 pm

It appears that sparksflyup.com isn’t working. I’m not sure if I’ve missed something in my quest, which is very possible, or if it’s temporarily/permanently down.
Question: Is there something wrong with the site?

KellyAnne December 14, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I am also writing a paper on you since I am intrigued by Looking For Alaska. I would love for the “Biographical Questions for Your School Project, Which I Am Really Flattered ” section to be click-able so I can have more information on you. Thanks!

Davina January 4, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I am also writing a paper on you and the work you have done, although the “Biographical Questions for Your School Project, Which I Am Really Flattered” is still not clickable…. I really wish it to be so….

Josephine January 8, 2011 at 3:29 am

I was wondering if you could give me some information about An Abundance of Katherines for my project. I needed to write about the motifs and symbols in your novel, but I just can’t find any. I guess it’s because I’m plain dumb. Anyways, I you could send me the motifs and symbols that you put in the novel, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Abigail January 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm

hey, john, i have a question for you about yourself. are you religious in any way? Its always a point of interest to me how Authors religious beliefs tie into their books.

Jessica August 13, 2011 at 7:08 pm
breana January 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm

How did you grow up?

Tuuli January 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Hey John, is it possible to get the philosophy section open? I would love to hear about your opinions on philosophical questions and the philosophical themes behind the books.

Walkenna January 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Why isn’t the biographical question linked to something?
I am in fact doing a project on you, but there is no biographical information on other sites.

Walkenna January 18, 2011 at 12:20 am

Pleease can you fix the biographical link, John?
I need it for my project :)

Sarah January 22, 2011 at 2:58 pm

How do you do the nerdfighter sign if you can only seperate your fingers like that on one hand?

Hisham January 23, 2011 at 4:58 am

Hey John, are your books available in Indonesian bookstores? I’ve been looking everywhere for them.

Dillon "Bonzo" Hendrickson January 28, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Hey John,
I am Currently writing a Research paper on an author of my choice for my AP English class. I am wondering if I could Have a few answers to some questions? (this message comes to you in 8 parts) 1. What was it that first caused you to get interested in writing as a career? (what childhood experiences or experiences from now)
2. What do you feels is the greatest part of writing books and short stories?
3. How do you decide what is really needed to make a book great to read?
4. who is/are your favorite author(s)?
5. Where do you feel you come up with/ find your inspirations for your books?
6. How do you go about writing a novel? (what steps or process do you use)
7. What is your favorite genre of Novel?

8 and final. Who is your greatest influence in your writing?

sophia February 11, 2011 at 9:30 pm

everytime i try to sign in at nerdfighters.com it wont work D:
i fill out that page , enter my email address and it sends a conformation email. i go to my email open the link. it says thanks, your account is confirmed and such. now there is a button i have to click to continue which EVERY SINGLE TIME leads me back to the sign up page.
I try seeing if maybe im already signed up but my account does not exist. and wont. arg.

alex cochran February 13, 2011 at 10:07 am

hi hank will you ever come down to england ???? please if you do come to nottingham :) please !!!

Alex Orchard February 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Good morning John, it’s Monday.
I am currently working on my Junior Term Paper (I am 16 Years old) and have decided it impossible to find a good scource to find out basic biographical information about you. I noticed that your “Biographical Questions for Your School Project, Which I Am Really Flattered You Chose to Do about Me” section is blank and I am kindly requesting that you do something about this.
It would be greatly appreciated if you completed this section so that I can use that a scource for my paper. Please include things like birth date and location, possibly Hank’s birth date, High school you attended, College you attended and what you studied there, maybe different cities you have lived in, and any other information that you find necesarry.
Alex Orchard

Lindsey February 28, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Hi. I urge you to come to Michigan. I need my over-read, wore out, and over highlighted copy of Looking For Alaska signed by the person who wrote the words that changed my life.

Stephanie March 12, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Hi John, I am doing my doctoral dissertation for Drew University on the Printz Award books in conjunction with the traditional canon of literature offered to hs students–I have completed almost all of the interviews…but, you are very trickyy to reach.. but, I totally get it..I have three kids…and Congrats on your baby boy :) But, if you could take the time to answer just a few research questions (I usually do 10, but, I will narrow it to 4 or 5- if you are willing)…I am using Looking For Alaska and Jellicoe Road with the hs students- so I would hate to not include you. Anyway, just please let me know. Thanks so much!

Christina March 14, 2011 at 9:39 am

you have yet to fill out your biographical information page. I too am trying to do a novel study on your Looking for Alaska. (Phenomenal book btw)

Quinn Parsons March 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I was curious about what you would think about this video made by the RSA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

It’s about education in public schools.

Lily March 31, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I read alot and relitivaly quickly so I was wondering if you could suggest any good books, Im a 16year old girl. I have read all your books and loved everyone but now I don’t know what to read. I also read Maureen Johnsons books they were good too.
Thank you!

Willow April 12, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Hey John,
I’m having a bit of difficulty finding translations of your books. Do you have a list of their titles in other languages, by chance (more specifically, French and German)?
Thanks :)

Julia May 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Hey (:

I only know some German titles, but I figured they might help you -

Looking for Alaska is called Eine wie Alaska
An Abundance of Katherines is Die erste Liebe (nach 19 vergeblichen Versuchen)
Paper Towns is Margos Spuren

John’s other books aren’t translated into German (well, as far as I know). Hope I could help you! (:

Tash April 21, 2011 at 7:33 am

Hi there, John
I just wanted to say ‘hello’ from the UK. I’m 24 and have recently stumbled upon your books. (Yeah, I know I’m a little mature , but I want to be a children’s and YA author so, I kind of have an excuse).

When I chanced upon the first few chapters of ‘Paper Towns’ a while ago, I was having a really appalling day. But, your book really cheered me up. And I mean genuinely: I haven’t laughed so hard in ages.

So, thank you, for making me lose myself in your bittersweet, funny, breathtaking, thoughtful story, for helping me to become a better writer…. And for making a horrible day suck a little less.

Ella April 24, 2011 at 6:19 pm

So, in today’s modern world of technology, I have a Kindle. And I like to read books on my Kindle, especially yours, but for some odd reason my public library only has Will Grayson, Will Grayson available to read… Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines are available, but only to be read-to-me, which I don’t enjoy at all. How might I get my library to carry digital copies of your books?

Kat April 28, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I need this too! I’m writing a 10 page paper on John Green vs Shakespeare… His biography is absolutely vital to my paper!! Please get it open!

merra April 29, 2011 at 11:48 am

I am form argentina, i follow hank and john and of course I would love to read John’s books. The problem is that they are not available here in my country, neither in english or spanish. I dont know how this business works but maybe you can do something about it. Because I would, as i’ve said, love to read them.

Sarah Raff April 30, 2011 at 4:00 pm

John,
I am a senior in high school and a nerdfighter, and as our final assignment in English class we have to write a 10 page research paper on a topic of our choice, that has to do with “pop culture” and how it reflects our society and how it will be seen in the future. I am thinking of writing about young adult fiction and how so much of it is about drugs, alcohol and sex and how that effects education, especially english/language arts, and how that reflects culture. I haven’t gotten it all sorted out yet (as you can probably tell from the not so great explanation). I just wanted to know if I would be able to talk to you about it and use you as one of my sources, since you are an YA author you probably have something to say about it. I know you are finishing a book in a different country and probably don’t have a ton of time, but anything would be appreciated. If you can please get back to me as soon as possible so that if you are interested I can give you more specific information as I figure it out.
Thanks and DFTBA,
Sarah

Jenny May 10, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I can’t click on the biography questions, how do I get to see those?

Brianna May 21, 2011 at 12:36 am

Hi, I won NaNoWriMo last year and as a prize I am able to get one free copy of my book from Createspace. My question is whether I could have your permission to use that opportunity to get my own physical copy of Zombicorns. Could I?

Best Wishes!

Sam May 26, 2011 at 11:22 pm

John, is there a way to learn the correct use of modifiers without it being boring? My English teacher says that there is no way around it, but your videos have made me understand things so much easier than reading from a textbook. If you could answer this/make a video about it that would be swell.

Best wishes, DFTBA, PDBAZ, and of course DFTBH,

Sam

Abigail May 27, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Dear John,
I am planning a trip to Europe and hoping to go to Amsterdam. I was wondering if you could suggest some places I should definitely check out.? ?
thank you!

-abigail

Dana June 8, 2011 at 2:36 am

Dearest John,

I’m extremely interested in writing and have been wanting to write a book, actually. However, a problem has arisen. I do not yet know good ways to start a book. Could you please give general pointers on how to begin a book?

Thank you.
Peace & love,
-Dana

Marcos Marcos June 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Hi John, I just wanted to show you the video I made for chapter 10 of Zombicorns. I made it for you and all the made of awesome nerdfighters out there. Hope y’all like it!

Jessica June 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Hi John,
I am a sophomore in high school and I am very interested in becoming a movie director one day and I was wondering if you would mind if I made a short film using one of your radio pieces as my “script”? It would be a very small thing and no plans have been made but it would be there would be no money involved concerning cast and crew and such. Just a question. Also I love your books!

Vicky June 16, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Hi John,
I’ll be attending your book signing at The Old Distillery in London in August this year, but do you happen to know if the venue is wheelchair accessible, as I’m bringing a friend with me who needs wheelchair access?

Many thanks in advance xx

April Mayz June 27, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I tried e-mailing you, but it keeps bouncing back.
This email:
me@sparksflyup.com

Chris July 1, 2011 at 6:52 am

All of the book shops in my area have since closed down, where can I get your books???

Maribel Lopez July 29, 2011 at 2:21 am

Hello! I read that if I pre-order The Fault in Our Stars I could get a signed copy? Am I wrong? Either way I’d like to pre-order it and would like to know if I can do that through this site or if not where you recommend. Thank you. :)

janet August 13, 2011 at 8:20 pm

did you know that you have nerdfighters in bangladesh? clock on the link for the youtube video, it’s quite amazing!!

janet August 13, 2011 at 8:21 pm

please disregard the typo in the previous comment, and just so this remains a question: please?

aliyahV. August 16, 2011 at 12:34 am

are you going to have a tour for The Fault In Our Stars? If you are, Are you coming to New York, or New Jersey?

Emma August 26, 2011 at 6:32 pm

People do ask silly questions. most of the on this page are mostly requests, which i thinks a bit demanding, you write the damn books you should be allowed to just have the thanks for sitting and writing the bloody things!

love your books. i like the rhythm of the words.

p.s this is more of an observation FYI, you have enough questions to deal with.

Emma again August 26, 2011 at 6:34 pm

please do ignore my inept english skills, i’m a reader not a writer.

Grace November 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Philosophical question:
Who are you?
If the answer seems too easy, read the first 3 chapters of “Sophie’s World”

Grace November 8, 2011 at 6:39 pm

When are we Canadians getting our pre-ordered copies…eh? Maple Syrup? Bacon? Helloo? Aboot? Other Canadian words?

Rachel November 18, 2011 at 4:05 am

How come some of the FAQ topics aren’t links?

BaileyB November 27, 2011 at 10:18 pm

What is your philosophy on life? Have you had to overcome any obstacles or struggled any in your life?

Morgan December 6, 2011 at 11:25 pm

In my head, I have all of these amazing, big moments that I want to happen in my writing, but I have a lot of trouble with what should go in-between the big moments. Or, if I’m in the middle of writing a transitionary period, all I can think about is getting to where I get to write the big moment. How do I focus more on the things that tie the big moments together so then my story is not just a story of small moments and big moments, but every page is just as exciting as the pages with the big moments on it?

Alexander December 12, 2011 at 11:42 pm

It’s strange. I think I’ve been taking preference to John over Hank lately… Not that I’ve had any preference over the two but I’ve just been heading more of John’s knowledgeable (sp?) advice.

Randy December 15, 2011 at 9:33 am

My daughters want to come to the Bethesda event on January 12, 2012. However, they already ordered the book from their local book store [where John is not visiting - Whats up with that;o0]. Do they have to buy the book again to get in to participate?