An Abundance of Katherines

When it comes to relationships, everyone has a type. Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. He has dated–and been dumped by–19 Katherines. In the wake of The K-19 Debacle, Colin–an anagram-obsessed washed-up child prodigy–heads out on a road trip with his overweight, Judge Judy- loving friend Hassan. With 10,000 dollars in his pocket and a feral hog on his trail, Colin is on a mission to prove a mathematical theorem he hopes will predict the future of any relationship (and conceivably win the girl).An Abundance of Katherines was a 2007 Michael L. Printz Honor book and a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize. It was also named one of the books of the year by Booklist, Horn Book, and Kirkus.

If you are fully prepared to be inundated with spoilers, you can learn much, much more about Katherines at the book’s Questions page.

If you would like to read this book in another language, go to the Translations page.

Reviews (Spoiler Alert!)

“Imagine an operating room at the start of a daring but well-rehearsed procedure and you will have something of the atmosphere of ”An Abundance of Katherines”: every detail considered, the action unrolling with grace and inevitability.”

-New York Times Book Review

“Green follows his Printz winning Looking for Alaska (2005) with another sharp, intelligent story. The laugh-out-loud humor ranges from delightfully sophomoric to subtly intellectual.”
-Booklist, Starred Review

“Fully fun, challengingly complex, and entirely entertaining.”
-Kirkus, Starred Review

“Laugh-out-loud funny, this second novel by the author of the Printz winner Looking for Alaska charts a singular coming-of-age American road trip that is at once a satire of and a tribute to its many celebrated predecessors.”
-Horn Book, Starred Review

{ 508 comments… read them below or add one }

Kristi June 11, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Not my favorite John Green book, but, still, funny as always!

Antonia June 11, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Nice website, John!

Also, there’s an extra space in the middle of the word “dumped.” The summary says that Colin was dum (space) ped by all of his Katherine-girlfriends.

Bella August 23, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I think that might be to make the summary lines finish at around the same place. I may be wrong though. We’re only human right. : )

lloyd December 7, 2010 at 1:49 am

That’s how the book is the whole way through, i think it has to do with Colin’s anagrammatic skills, or at least that’s what i assumed.

Kylie June 12, 2010 at 12:24 am

is there a new formula website??? i was so upset when it stopped working. is it back?

Katherine C. June 17, 2010 at 3:02 pm

John Green, you are one of the best authors I have ever read. “An Abundance of Katherines” is the book that made me start reading your books, purely for the fact my name is the title. I loved it. Then I picked up “Looking for Alaska” and “Paper Towns”…and now I’m desperately trying to find a copy of “Will Grayson, Will Grayson.” I just want to say I love love LOVE your books, and it’s not just because you wrote a book about nineteen of me (bad joke). Most of my peers were pretty annoyed with me last year when I first found your books, because I was going crazy. I still am. You’re an amazing writer. “Looking for Alaska” is the first book that ever made me cry, and that’s saying something, because I love most books I read and always end up feeling a bit too much for fiction characters than I should, even with my own hectic life to distract me from reading. Okay, I’m rambling now. I have to stop that. Damn. Guess I’m pretty incapable of stopping myself from gushing when it comes to authors…

Jennifer October 14, 2010 at 9:47 am

Well, I have the same exact problem as you. I tend to ramble, and I get emotional over books. And whenever I read, my friends get annoyed and say, “WHY ARE YOU READING?! GO DO SOMETHING!” They just don’t understand how wonderful reading is.

Taylor July 14, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I completely understand what you mean with your friends telling to stop reading, as it’s aparently loserish (their words not mine). And Will Grayson, Will Grayson was the first one I read and it was pretty damn good in my opinion. I would probably per order “The Fault In Our Stars” if I could, but I can’t so I have to wait till it comes out. :(
Anyway, continue reading and just laugh and say you are doing something. :D

Lizzie April 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I couldn’t have said it better myself…except my name’s not Katherine :[

kellyk April 18, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I know!! My friends say that John Green’s books sound lame. I talk about them too much :P

mealz October 12, 2012 at 5:46 pm

That’s exactly what I do and now none of friends will read his books!

Noble June 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Did a book report on this book…..BEST IDEA EVER! Thank you for smart AND funny books!
DFTBA

Jenna June 21, 2010 at 7:52 pm

My friend Allie first introduced me to Brotherhood 2.0 in 2008 and and I’m stilling watching Vlogbrothers now. It was what got me into your books and Hank’s music.

My favorite so far of yours was An Abundance of Katherines. It was so witty in spots I had to actually stop and mull over it, but you still had your classic outrageously funny humor that flies off the page. The appendix at the back had my sister at a loss for words. I’m always stunned at what you come out with.

One of your latest vlogs left hint of your newest project and I cannot wait until it comes out! I’m sure it will be a materpiece, as always.

Which begs the question: What Could You Do With a Poe Bust?! Because that wasn’t your last award….

Kristen Shabe July 11, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Roughly, when do you plan on publishing your next book?

Elena July 12, 2010 at 11:33 am

Absolutely wonderful.
‘Twas my first John Green book and it was on my summer reading list. Who knew the school could pick something so funny and interesting?
Great work~

Lilah July 20, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Best book I’ve ever read. Now, I want to read all his books.

Adriana Curado July 20, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Hey There John! (sorry about my english in advance)

My name is Adriana and I’m from Lisbon, Portugal.
I’m one of your subscribers at youtube, and I have to say: Hank and You are hilarious! I follow you both every week and i see every single episode you guys post. <3 You!

Well, the other day I went to buy one of your books ( An Abundance of Katherines) at Fnac store ( I'm finally on vacation so I really want to READ for fun, and not for study reasons) and I was told THERE WAS NO BOOK OF JOHN GREEN ( i mean… at any Fnac Store), none really. I was also told I would have to order one and wait about 1 mouth to have your book. @_@

So I thought…"I really wanted to have the book signed by John"… hum..Is this wish possible? I Don't know how we could do it, the payment and the sending and all that. Even if you can't help me, I'll understand, and I'll still love your work (even though I have to wait 1 mouth to read it – I'm kidding :D ).

DFTBA

Adriana

Daniel Fitterman July 22, 2010 at 7:57 am

I felt the need to mention that this is by far my favorite one of your books!!!

Sam Lewis July 22, 2010 at 11:14 am

This book is a very great book, I haven’t finished reading it yet, but I would like to point out that on page 57-58 ((of my copy, anyway)), the last line of page 57 is the same as the first line of page 58. I just thought that you should know that and maybe a punishment for it? ;)

colton January 2, 2011 at 2:44 am

i noticed that too, but i think i saw it in two or three different places

Graeme January 24, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Marc I want to explain very brfiley (if I possibly can!) why I personally believe that virginity loss is a process and not just an event.When I was 16 (and a Christian) I was in my first serious relationship with my best friend. We both believed that sex before marriage was wrong so our line was anything but sex . We gave each other hand jobs and performer oral sex on each other. Eventually we broke up and I felt incredibly guilty about all of it (which is probably another story haha).When I was 20 I decided that God probably didn’t care so much about my sex life as had previously thought he did. I was dating a guy (it wasn’t incredibly serious he was just out of a 3 year relationship and I was a few months away from moving to Australia) and I decided to lose my virginity to him . After that relationship broke up I realised that though I had thought I lost my virginity at 20, I had actually lost it at 16 to my first boyfriend.For me, it was a process. The first kiss, the first touch, the first time I was naked with a guy, the first time a guy made me orgasm, the first time I made a guy orgasm. All of these firsts they are all parts of that process.

Emily July 23, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I read this book a couple years ago, and I loved it!
Then, at some point this past winter, I stumbled upon vlogbrothers on youtube, and thought they were really funny. It took a while, but then I figured out/was shown/someone in some video mentioned that John was the author of An Abundance of Katherines. I was shocked, surprised, and thrilled. And now I’m going to go buy your other books, John.
Have you ever heard of One Story? Google it. You should submit a short story to them.
Happy writing :]
~Emily

Mahamat January 25, 2014 at 3:47 am

I’ve only read The Fault In Our Stars and I sobbed whsilt reading that one so, I guess if you want to cry, start with that one. It is excellent! Enjoy your new reads how exciting! I’m looking forward to your thoughts on them all

purchase Lasix March 20, 2014 at 5:29 am

This is an article that makes you think “never thought of that!”

Hanna August 3, 2010 at 11:49 am

I love “An Abundance Of Catherines” :)
Anagramming is awesome.

An-G August 13, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Wow, I just seriously confused myself with this sentence:

“…Colin–an anagram-obsessed washed-up child prodigy–heads out on a road trip…”

By thinking “But ‘Colin’ isn’t an anagram of “obsessed washed-up child prodigy”.

Not that there’s anything wrong with the sentence, or really anything wrong with me. I just thought I’d share that.

leegee December 12, 2010 at 11:57 am

ouch. my brain hurts

emily May 2, 2011 at 9:07 am

no, they’re saying that he’s anagram obsessed, not that obsessed is part of an anagram! haha:)

Emily August 25, 2010 at 1:19 am

This was the first book I read by you and honestly, it’s my favorite. Of course I’ve only read Looking for Alaska and Abundance of Katherines, but this is just so light-hearted and witty. I loved it and I’m seriously contemplating stealing it from the library, cause I’m broke and cool like that.

chaelee August 28, 2010 at 10:10 pm

not my fave of yours, but i loved the light-heartedness (is that one word or 2), the math, and the anagramming. Also I loved the pi subnote or whatever it’s called. i’m memorizing it for next pi day- 3-14

Tangelia September 10, 2010 at 12:58 pm

dis book is really good

linyifei November 14, 2010 at 7:59 am

it is real good ,I like it very much

Misty September 24, 2010 at 8:05 am

This is by far my favorite John Green book (although I have liked all of his books). I wish they would turn it into a movie. I think it would be a laugh riot! I have Michael Cera cast in my mind for the part of Colin. I think that you be just great. Maybe it would make some more money for John Green too!

Roman January 24, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I don’t know about the laws where you are but common law rslhtioneaips in Canada are protected in very similar ways to marriages especially where property, finances and children are concerned. After a certain amount of time living together, a break up would necessitate a separation agreement and splitting of assets acquired during the relationship. Also, I take offense to the concept that a marriage as an insitution should protect women and not men, or that it does even protect women. Especially in unequal rslhtioneaips (where the man controls everything) the woman can be stripped of her agency (financial, social and otherwise) and left with nothing when he decides he’s done with her. Marriage does little to protect her when he has beaten her up and she’s left with no choice but to go to a shelter with her kids to get away.

Lauren October 7, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Favorite quote ever: “Tampons to me were like grizzly bears: I’d heard plenty about them but I’d never seen one in the wild.”
~Colin from John Green’s “An Abundance of Katherine’s.”

Du bist ein genie! (Collin would get this–er sprecht Deutsch!)

Leah November 26, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Mine too! It was hilarious!

Vanessa January 25, 2014 at 11:59 am

I got the John Green box set as soon as it came out. Amazon offered it with auaorgtphed books TFIOS and LFA. I think they must have run out of auaorgtphed copies though.

Destiny October 29, 2010 at 10:51 am

God. Just. God.

This is my favorite book in the entire universe.

As an aspiring author myself, I so envy how you can write fiction of substance, about themes that aren’t cliche, over things that actually make me think.

I wanna do that so bad.

I just want you to know, that by inspiring me every damn day of my life, every damn day of my life I aspire to do great things.

I couldn’t ask for more.

You should offer workshops or something, and then maybe one day I’ll be able to make an impact on someone’s life the way you’ve made on on mine, and I don’t even know you, dude.

Way to go.

Kelsey October 30, 2010 at 2:06 am

I just finished this book and I don’t think I’ve ever learned so many random facts from one fiction novel. Great work!

Leah November 26, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Me neither!

leegee December 12, 2010 at 11:54 am

yeah, i was spouting irrelevant facts for an entire month after i read this book. and my new fave word is schadenfreude. or however you spell it.
oh, and dont even get me started on fug.

Sophie November 11, 2011 at 2:50 pm

schadenfreude is a great word. i really need to read this book

Mathis C. November 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm

John Green is absolutely wondrous! You are the epitome of everything good in the literary world. I was introduced to Katherine’s by my english class but after that there was a group of us from the class that became avid fans. We even went to get WG, WG at five in the morning. You are the reason I write and read at all! Write more as fast as you can!

Niklas November 9, 2010 at 4:10 pm

The best book ever!
I would like to writhe a book down, right here, but I’ve problems in English.
It’s making me sad that there’s no german Fan-Site

katcomix November 11, 2010 at 12:14 am

In the words of my former roommate, “ME! I’m a Katherine!” I haven’t had a chance to read this yet, but I will have to pick it up!

linyifei November 14, 2010 at 7:54 am

It is nice of you ,I like to read you blog, I hope that I can make friends
with you

Capucine November 23, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Hello from France! I ‘d like to know if this book will be published and translated soon in French! I loved your books and this one is the only one I have not read,so i can’t wait! Please tell me
You have a wonderful talent, Looking for Alaska is one of my favorite books…just carry on like that!
‘Bisous’

Tasha November 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I did myon of my reports on this book and was so happy when I didnt fail the report. The only reason that didn’t happen is because the book was so interesting and funny to read. I love, love, love when I stumble across books that aren’t dull or uninteresting.

Leah November 26, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I loved An Abundence of Kathrines! I’m a sixth grader trying pre algebra, but still couldn’t figure the formula out! I found it really funny!

I read this bok when you wrote a pep talk for nanowrimo.org. You really inspried me!

Lily November 28, 2010 at 2:10 pm

This book is witty, clever, and incredibly and unbelievably HILARIOUS. I loved Looking for Alaska and I didn’t think it was possible for a book to match it, so I didn’t have high expectations for Katherines. But no, this book actually blew me away. It’s funny in the weirdest and nerdiest ways, and coming from a math magnet school full of math geeks (myself included…) I was thoroughly impressed. It almost made math seem COOL, which is hard to do. I love how all your characters have random, amazing quirks (famous last words, anagramming, obsessions with paper towns, etc), it makes them seem a lot more real, and so much more believable. Your novels have really inspired me to pursue writing (oh, and your pep talk for NaNo was great, too). How do you do it?!? Anyway, keep writing, please…and thanks for such a great read!!

Holly December 14, 2010 at 9:26 pm

This is the only book that I actually read for my English class. It was kind of amazing. But only in the way were there should be no ‘kind of’ in the last sentence.

Brianna December 22, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Can I read this online anywhere??

Kira Frantzen December 24, 2010 at 9:03 am

amazing book, I’ve never laughed so much while I’m reading a book. I hope that you don’t stop writing books.

Chelsea December 30, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I have read this book, Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska, and I haven’t been disappointed by any of John Green’s book. Plus I guess I’m a bit behind so I found out today he makes youtube videos.

New favorite person ever.

Kathryn January 6, 2011 at 10:11 pm

To my favorite vlog-brothers/nerdfighters.
RE: The unfortunate loss of my 3 favorite John Green novels.

First off, I’ll tell you I’m not here to fawn all over you two even though that’s what I want to do. I’m here to tell you a story.
I am affectionately referred to as Katie B, I live in Michigan, I am turning 17 years of age on the 11th of this month (January of 2011) and over the past holiday break I sent via non-priority mail, An Abundance of Katherines, Looking for Alaska, and Paper Towns to my 19 year old boyfriend, Tyler, in Ontario, Canada. I adore those books – they are 3 of my most prized possessions – and I regret to inform you both that the snail-mail system has lost my books. I’m quite disheartened. I loved those books, and as a proud nerdfighter (DFTBA!) I am also so enraged that they have been “misplaced.”
I’m not sure what I told you this for. Maybe because I have the tiniest of hopes that you’ll care and could consol me in some way. I don’t know. I just thought that I’d share my story.
I love you both quite a bit. Keep doing what you do. you inspire wannabe authors – suck as myself – and give hope to those of us life-long lovers of the written word who feel the end nearing for the printed book.

Much of my Michigan love,
Katie B

Jenny January 16, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Just finished it literally 10 minutes ago. It was fantastic! Now I’m trying Colin’s formula on all my friends. :3 Keep writing John, and best wishes! DFTBA

Lyzzee Fryank Schmylled February 3, 2011 at 12:23 pm

HI! MY NAME IS LYZZEE. I AM DOING A REPORT ON YOUR BOOKS FOR SCHOOL, AND I NOTICED THAT YOU SPARKSFLYUP WEB PAGE HAS BEEN DOWN LATELY. IS IT GOING BACK UP ANYTIME SOON?

DFTBA
XX

Katherine Jane April 16, 2011 at 11:27 pm

This might actually be my favorite John Green book. I struggle to chose between Alaska and Katherines! This novel was so fresh and hilarious, and at the end I was just….HAPPY. I love it so very much. I have it on my Kindle, but I’m thinking of buying the paper version of it as well just so I can scribble all over it in my own hand writing.

Emily! May 2, 2011 at 9:11 am

OH MY GOSH! I absolutly loved this book the first time i read it, and it keeps getting better every time. I keep catching things I missed the first times through, so this books definetly keeps me on my toes.
I hope you realize too that there’s no spark notes page for this book. Not that anyone should want to use it, bu just a heads up if you need help with an assignment or book report and need to go back and look.
(this is an AWESOME book! i love it!!!!!!!)
-Emily!

lauren June 1, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I just started this book yesterday and I’m already almost done with it. Your book isn’t just a great read, it is seriously addicting. I was up till about two thiety reading last night because I just couldn’t pur it down. The ideas and plot of the story are so interesting, funy, and enjoyable to read:)

Danielle Baron July 27, 2011 at 7:34 pm

This is literally my favorite book of all time. I LOVE the story line, the characters, the little charts that made math for the first time relevant to my life. You made me proud of my nerdiness. Made me feel like it could amount to something other than grades. I can’t believe that you could be the same person who does the VlogBrothers, in fact, I noticed your name was the same but I thought it was impossible that so much talent could be in one person. DUDE! YOU ROCK!

Katie August 1, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Hey, just so you know, i am using this book as an example for a literature assignment on quests. Great book, doing this project made me read it again, even better the second time!!

muffin August 4, 2011 at 11:51 am

This is one of my favorite books. It is very aspberger’s in many ways. Maybe even a bit autistic. I like how it reflected some of my students.

Caitlin (hating summaries) August 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I have to write a 150 word OR LESS summary for this book!!!!! 150 words is not enough!!!!!!!!! Got it down to 180…. GRRR!

Hope August 12, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I loved this book!!!! I read it in added together like three hours.

Alma Dominguez October 13, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I LOVE “An Abundance of Katherines”!! I first started reading it because my librarian recommended it for “people who like funny books”. I didn’t know I was one of those people until I read this book. While I was reading it I must have laughed out loud like 20 times! That Hassan kid says some funny stuff!

yumi kim October 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm

maybe dum ped is written like that so you pronounce it like dum ped, so it goes in rhythm with dat-ted

Elliott October 27, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Love this book! First John Green book I read so it’s specail to me. Plus, it’s REALLY funny!

Estelle November 21, 2011 at 11:46 pm

This is the book that got me started on reading all of John Green’s other books. I absolutely love it. It was extremely funny and very well written. Very, very awesome author.
: )

kyrstin December 6, 2011 at 10:18 am

I would just like to say I thought this was a really good book. And that Hassan is the best, best friend anyone could have….well I think so anyway. That’s all.

-Thanks :)